This bubble and squeak is a healthy alternative to the traditional Bubble and Squeak made with white mashed potatoes and cabbage. Making this dish with sweet potato and red cabbage increases the nutrition.
According to www.healthyeating.sfgate.com, Red Cabbage has more protein, calcium and more healthy carbs.
Sweet potato has more fibre than white potatoes and a massive increase in Vit A which is good for your skin and vision. They are also another great source of healthy, complex carbohydrates. These carbohydrates provide the blood with an amino-acid called Tryptophan, which then produces serotonin in the brain making us happy. Sweet potato is a healthy and easy way to achieve this.
Recipe for Red Cabbage and Sweet Potato Bubble and Squeak
Ingredients for Christmas Red Cabbage
Half a medium red cabbage
Zest of a large orange
Stick of cinnamon
Two tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.
Two tablespoons of oil or butter - personal choice
Extra Ingredients for Bubble and Squeak
Two medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
Medium size red chili
Two large cloves of garlic
One tablespoon of olive oil
1. I like to use butter to cook the cabbage and red onions in but coconut oil is a good vegan option. In a large frying pan, warm the chosen oil/fat. Add the red onion and red cabbage and gently cook for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the orange zest, cinnamon and balsamic vinegar and cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until all ingredients have softened together.
These are very simple and can be made ahead of time and placed in the fridge.
Mashed Sweet Potato
1. Peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes, this will save time and fuel. Place in a pan of water and bring to the boil, add Himalayan Rock salt and simmer until soft. When softened, drain and replace back in the pan and mash them. You can add butter but I find there is enough fat in the cabbage mix.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the red chili and crush and chop the garlic.
3. Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan and gently cook the garlic and chili to infuse the oil.
4. Add mashed potato and red cabbage mix to the infused garlic and chili oil. Take off the heat and fold the two mixtures together until they are evenly blended.
At this stage, they are a vegan dish. I think they are delicious with fish, so I sometimes add some flaked cooked salmon.
5. Dust the worktop with flour and make flat balls of the mixture, flatten them and give them a generous coating of flour. This will give the bubble and squeak a crunchy shell.
6. Add more oil to the frying pan and cook the balls of mixture in the hot oil. You don't want this to be deep oil, maybe just a tablespoon or two. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side or until dark brown with a crispy outer.
They are then delicious with a salad or a side dish. They are also great cold and will freeze for up to six weeks.
If you loved these and would like a healthy snack to replace crisps (chips) to eat on the go or offer your guests, take a look at how to make Healthy Roasted Cashew Nuts - This is a Christmas blog post but these are delicious any time of year!